Thursday 3 January 2013

Papineau House, Montreal



The Papineau House, Bonsecours Street, Montreal

Politician Louis-Joseph Papineau (1786-1871) was the most famous Papineau and lived in one of the loveliest homes which he remodelled during 1831-1832 and the home's architecture and interior design reflected a mix of French and British influences.  Papineau's house was attacked in 1834 and 1837, first by Loyalists and then by members of the Doric Club, who were opposed to Papineau and the emancipation of the French Canadians. One day, I posted a letter through that black door for Eric McLean who lived there, asking him to lead me to a living Papineau ( of which more later) but I wish I had met Eric who apparently restored the interior to reflect again the days of L-J.
On that visit, I also walked to the Chapel Notre-Dame de Bonsecours which was at the end of this street and stood on the cobbled stones and wondered how many of my ancestors had also walked upon those stones.  Did one of us visit the restaurant across from the church where I drank coffee and pondered?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - always good to read!